Moving into a new flat is an exciting time and for many of you, this will be your first time living in a rented property after spending the last year in student accommodation. You’ve done the hard part – you’ve searched for the perfect flat, attended viewings and got the property. What’s next?
Follow these tips to ensure the moving in process runs as smoothly as possible:
- You and your flatmates need to decide how the bills will be paid. Many of our tenants set up a bank account, either in one or two names, and this bank account is used solely for paying bills and purchasing household items.
- Set up contents insurance. All of our properties are covered by buildings insurance, however, it is the tenants’ responsibility to cover their own items for theft or damage. Always ensure you are protected – you can never be too careful!
- Will you be bringing a TV to your new property? If so, make sure you apply for a TV licence. Watching TV without a licence is a criminal offence and can lead to a fine of up to £1,000.
- Shop around for the best deal and compare broadband and TV packages on comparison websites such as www.comparethemarket.com.
- Students in Edinburgh are exempt from paying council tax, however, you need to obtain an exemption certificate. Get your certificate by filling out this form.
- The Cullen Property check-in administrator will take a note of the meter readings on the move-in day and arrange transfer of the utilities in your name so there is nothing for you to do with regard to this.
If you have any questions on our check-in process, get in touch by emailing email@example.com.
(Image courtesy of nenetus at FreeDigitalPhotos.net)