Sleep n the park 2018:
On Saturday 8 December I will be continuing Cullen Property’s support for Social Bite by taking part in Sleep in the Park 2018. Social Bite is a charity whose mission is to end homelessness in Scotland. Malcolm Warrack took part in Social Bite’s first sleep out in 2016 which raised sufficient funds to build the Social Bite Village in Granton, Edinburgh. Then last year a team of 7 Cullen staff took part in the first Sleep in the Park on the coldest night of the year, an unforgettable experience for all though not one that all the team wanted to repeat!
Our target this year is to raise £3,000 in donations and, as last year, Cullen Property will match any donations up to our £3,000 target.
You can find out more about Sleep in the Park and Social Bite here and by visiting my fundraising page HERE
I really appreciate your support and thank you for any donations.
How have the funds been invested? (Source Social Bite)
- £3M to the creation and support costs of a nationwide “Housing First” program. This program was created as a direct result of the Sleep in the Park campaigns, as Social Bite engaged with landlords in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee, Stirling and Aberdeen to secure 830 mainstream flats for entrenched rough sleepers to be able to move into over a three year period. Social Bite subsequently commissioned coalitions of local charities in each of these cities to deliver a comprehensive support to these people in their new properties as well as providing furniture. This has subsequently become the largest housing first program in Europe and resulted in significant policy shifts at local and national governement level.
- We commissioned 3 comprehensive research projects, 2 of which were commissioned on behalf of The Scottish Government to provide a framework for ending homelessness in Scotland and a policy shift towards rapid re-housing.
- £1M towards the creation of the Social Bite Village – an innovative accommodation alternative to the hostels and bed and breakfasts that are prevalent throughout the UK
- £0.5M towards commissioning our partners Cyrenians to deliver comprehensive support for residents at the Social Bite village
- Expanding the Bethany Care shelter in Edinburgh for the duration of the 2017/2018 winter.
- £800,000 towards 24 months of free food programs and regular nationwide weekly events for people experiencing homelessness to attend and be supported.
- £800,000 towards employment programs employing around 32 people per year.
- Campaigning – As a direct result of Social Bite’s campaiging efforts, The Scottish Government pledged £6.5M towards our Housing First program and all 32 local authorities in Scotland committed to shift policy towards Rapid Rehousing and Housing First.
- You can read more about these programs in our Impact Report here