Legal Reponsibilities

As a landlord you need to comply with a number of statutory requirements and regulations. At Cullen Property, we can help arrange all of these for you.

Landlord Registration

Each landlord letting a property in Scotland is required to register with the Scottish Government.

Registration is easy through the Scottish Government website, but has to be done directly by the individual landlord. You will need Cullen Property Ltd’s registration number which is: 01031/230/10110.

Gas and Electrical Safety Certificates

Rental properties require a number of checks to ensure they are safe for tenants. Cullen Property can arrange all of these for you.

  • Gas Safety Certificate – all gas appliances must be checked by a Gas Safe engineer on an annual basis and a certificate must be in place to show all appliances are safe to use
  • Portable Appliance Test (PAT) – all electrical appliances that are portable (e.g. toaster, washing machine) must be checked annually and a certificate provided to show that they are safe to use
  • Electrical Installation Condition Report (PIR) – wiring and sockets must be checked on a regular basis and we recommend to our landlords that this is carried out every three years

Smoke Alarms

The property must have hard-wired smoke alarms, with at least one alarm on each floor. to be done directly by the individual landlord. You will need Cullen Property Ltd’s registration number which is: 01031/230/10110.


All properties must be fully insured for both building and landlord contents. We advise tenants to arrange insurance cover for their own belongings.

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

All properties must have an EPC before the property is viewed by prospective tenants. Cullen Property can arrange this for you and the certificate is valid for 10 years.

Tenancy Deposit Scheme

Tenants’ deposits must be placed in one of three government-approved Tenancy Deposit Schemes within 30 days of the tenancy commencing.

A relatively new rule for Scottish landlords, Tenancy Deposit Schemes aim to keep deposits safe for the duration of the lease and minimise any conflict between landlords and tenants when the tenancy ends. Deposits will be returned to the tenant on completing successful check-out procedures.

Tenant Information Packs

Tenants must be supplied with an information pack containing a copy of their lease, the property’s gas safety certificate and an AT5 form confirming that the tenancy is short assured.

Houses in Multiple Occupancy Licence (HMO)

Properties which have three or more unrelated tenants living together (typically 3+bed student properties) must have a HMO licence.

HMO properties offer some of the best capital and rental yields on the market. Landlords need to ensure their properties fulfil specific fire safety regulations and meet a range of minimum requirements set out by the City of Edinburgh Council.

At Cullen Property, we manage the full HMO process in-house, whether it is a new application or renewal. Please contact us for details of our fees.

Overseas Landlords

Many of our landlord and property investor clients are based outside of the UK and it’s no problem to keep you updated on your property in a way that’s convenient for you.

To avoid income tax being deducted at a rate of 20% before rental payments are passed on to you, you need to apply for a non-resident landlord scheme number which is issued by the tax centre for non-residents.

Even if you previously held this number, you will need to re-apply with Cullen Property Ltd. You will need our reference number which is 922 NA 025595. Please apply as soon as possible as tax will be deducted until such time as your application has been processed.

The required NRL1 form is available from the HMRC website.

Cullen Property Landlord News