You’ve signed the lease, arranged payment of your first month’s rent and deposit, and have given us your direct debit details. What happens next?
Whilst exciting, moving into a new flat can raise a lot of questions. Here we have developed a useful guide to help you get settled into your new home:
- Arrange insurance to cover contents and accidental damage. Your parents might know a thing or two about insurance so it may be a good idea to speak to them first. There are companies we can recommend, such as Endsleigh or Leaseguard, or you can use comparison sites, such as Compare The Market, to find the best insurance policy for you.
- Whilst our properties are all fully furnished and come with white goods, you will need to bring your own cutlery, crockery, glassware, utensils, pots and pans, and cookware. A good idea is to each be responsible for your own items, agree amongst yourselves who will supply what items, or plan a fun shopping trip together to pick out the items you need for your new home.
- You will need to bring your own bed linen, televisions, and desks.
- On the check-in date, we will meet you at the property and take pictures of the property. We ask that until the check-in is complete, you do not move any belongings in to the property.
- We will inform your utility suppliers once your lease has started at the property and give them all the tenants’ names. If any utility bills come in as owner/occupier or not addressed to any of you, then please send them directly to us and we will deal with them.
- We will also inform The City of Edinburgh Council. However, students are exempt from paying Council Tax. If you do receive a Council Tax Bill from The City of Edinburgh Council you will need to contact them for an exemption form. Do not pay any Council Tax bills, and make sure you return your fully-completed exemption form to the council.
- Do not open any mail that is not addressed to you. If you receive someone else’s mail either cross through the address section and write ‘return to sender’ on it and put it back in the post box, or hand it into our office.
If you have any further questions please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.